How to deal with dry hair is a question I receive quite often. Those who have done through it know that it can be one of the worst hair problems to have. Dry hair can lead to to styling issues and even worse, hair breakage which may be the culprit as to why you are not retaining length. However, knowing the ways to deal with it can put you on the right track to achieving your hair length goals on your healthy hair journey.
Moisturize & Seal
Moisturizing and sealing should be apart of your daily regimen. While it is one thing to add moisture to your hair, sealing in the moisture can help it retain moisture longer. I myself like to moisturize and seal twice a day. Once in the morning before work and at night before I go to bed. This process is done by adding a water based moisturizer to dry hair and then sealing with a light oil such as coconut oil or olive oil. In the winter months I opt for heavy oils such as castor oil or shea butter.
Using a Moisturizing Sulfate Free Shampoo
Shampoos can be naturally drying to the hair. Using a sulfate free shampoo can help minimize the drying effects of cleansing your hair. A moisturizing sulfate free shampoo can help add back moisture into the hair during the wash day process. Here are a list of the top moisturizing sulfate free shampoos.
- SheaMoisture Moisture Retention Shampoo
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate Free Shampoo
- Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
- Burt’s Bee More Moisture Raspberry & Brazil Nut Shampoo
- Jane Carter Hydrating Invigorating Shampoo
Deep conditioning is on of my favorite ways to restore moisture into the hair. It can be done on wet or dry hair and even used with heat This can be done weekly or as often as needed for your regimen. Here are some of my favorite deep conditioners to use.
- Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner
- As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Condtioner
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask
- TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask
What do you do to keep your hair moisturized?